Current:Home > ScamsJudge temporarily halts removal of Confederate Monument at Arlington National Cemetery -Secure Horizon Growth
Judge temporarily halts removal of Confederate Monument at Arlington National Cemetery
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 18:39:37
A federal judge temporarily halted the removal of the Confederate Monument at Arlington National Cemetery on Monday.
U.S. District Judge Rossie Alston Jr. issued the order on Monday after workers had begun working on the removal that was slated to be completed by the end of the week.
On Sunday, the group Defend Arlington, an affiliate of Save Southern Heritage Florida, filed the emergency motion asking for the pause arguing that the removal of the monument would disturb gravesites.
“Plaintiffs have made the necessary showing that they are entitled to a temporary restraining order pursuant to Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 65(b) to preserve the status quo pending a decision by the Court on the merits of this action,” Alston’s order reads.
The order temporarily bars the Department of Defense from “taking any acts to deconstruct, tear down, remove, or alter the object of this case." A hearing on the case is scheduled for Wednesday.
'100 years of difficult work':Richmond removes final public Confederate monument
Confederate memorial removal
On Saturday, Arlington National Cemetery announced that safety fencing had been installed around the memorial and officials expected it to be completely removed by Friday. According to a news release, the landscape, graves and headstones surrounding the memorial will be protected while the monument is taken down.
"During the deconstruction, the area around the Memorial will be protected to ensure no impact to the surrounding landscape and grave markers and to ensure the safety of visitors in and around the vicinity of the deconstruction," the cemetery news release said.
The removal part of a national effort to get rid of confederate symbols from military-related spaces was slated to go ahead despite pushback from some Republican lawmakers.
Last week, 44 lawmakers, led by Georgia Republican Rep. Andrew Clyde wrote a letter to Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin demanding the Reconciliation Monument be kept, Fox News reported.
Clyde said the monument, “does not honor nor commemorate the Confederacy; the memorial commemorates reconciliation and national unity.”
In a September 2022 report to Congress, an independent commission recommended the removal of the monument, which was unveiled in 1914 and designed by a Confederate veteran. The memorial "offers a nostalgic, mythologized vision of the Confederacy, including highly sanitized depictions of slavery," according to Arlington National Cemetery.
veryGood! (6482)
Related
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Travis Kelce named host of ‘Are You Smarter than a Celebrity?’ for Prime Video
- Suspect arrested after allegedly killing a man at a northern New Mexico rest stop, stealing cars
- 'All these genres living in me': Origin stories of the women on Beyoncé's 'Blackbiird'
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- NASA: Space junk that crashed through Florida home came from ISS, 'survived re-entry'
- NPR suspends editor who criticized his employer for what he calls an unquestioned liberal worldview
- Caitlin Clark is No. 1 pick in WNBA draft, going to the Indiana Fever, as expected
- Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
- Travis Kelce named host of ‘Are You Smarter than a Celebrity?’ for Prime Video
Ranking
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Supreme Court appears divided over obstruction law used to prosecute Trump, Jan. 6 rioters
- Texas inmate Melissa Lucio’s death sentence should be overturned, judge says
- Idaho’s ban on youth gender-affirming care has families desperately scrambling for solutions
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Is it bad to ghost low priority potential employers? Ask HR
- Home values rising in Detroit, especially for Black homeowners, study shows
- Riley Strain Case: Alleged Witness Recants Statement Following Police Interrogation
Recommendation
Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
NPR suspends editor who criticized his employer for what he calls an unquestioned liberal worldview
US Olympic committee strikes sponsorship deal to help athletes get degrees after they retire
The Best Coachella Festival Fashion Trends You’ll Want To Recreate for Weekend Two
Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
Ariana Grande’s Grandma Marjorie “Nonna” Grande Just Broke This Record
DeSantis tweaks Florida book challenge law, blames liberal activist who wanted Bible out of schools
Parts of central US hit by severe storms, while tornadoes strike in Kansas and Iowa